Thursday, July 11, 2013


This morning I swan 44 laps (one mile) in 43:49.  The good news: was moving along just "fast" enough that no one thought I was drowning.  The bad news: I've hit a bit of a threshold.  Haven't been able to break the 40 minute mile, at least not in this short pool. Sounds like an excuse to me. Would love to get in an Olympic size pool and see how I'd do. 

So now, it's time to do a bit more running. Ahhh my first love.  Still slow as sin, but the swimming has certainly helped. Probably unrealistic, but I would love to do the Austin Ironman 70.3 at the end of October.  In fact, in a moment of late night weakness about 4 months ago, I signed up (and paid)  entry fee for this.  I had fully expected my running and cycling much more by now.

The swim I could do today. It's 1.2 miles in a lake. That's the easy leg.   The bike wouldn't be pretty but I could do 56 miles very slowly.  The sad part is I can't run 13.1 miles.  I could walk/run about 10 but wouldn't make the cut off times.  So it's time to get this big flabby butt in gear. 

It's sort of odd to me, that 3 years ago I could run 50 miles without breaking a sweat, now I am building up to run 13.1.  Maybe odd isn't the word, maybe ironic....or perhaps pathetic.  Whatever you call it - I love a challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment